By Paige Neidig – Every camper knows that campfire meals have two requirements – they must be easy to make and taste delicious. We asked our Facebook followers to share with us their favorite meals to make when camping in Gettysburg, Pa. and these were voted the five best recipes. The winner won a $50 gift certificate to Drummer Boy Camping Resort located right here in Gettysburg, Pa.! For a full list of submissions, please click here.
1. Banana S’mores Boats
Submitted by Natalie Sharp from Dover, PA
- Chocolate Chips
- Graham Crackers
- Mini Marshmallows
- Cut a slit longways in a banana.
- Stuff it with chocolate chips, graham crackers and mini marshmallows.
- Cover in tin foil.
- Let it sit over the fire for a few minutes
- Open it back up and enjoy the gooey goodness!
2. Farm Market Chicken Packs
Submitted by Becky Caldwell from Denton, MD
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders
- Summer Squash
- Your Favorite Oil-Based Salad Dressing
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sourdough Bread
- Marinate the boneless skinless chicken tenders in your favorite oil-based salad dressing.
- Slice up the vegetables.
- Layer the veggies in aluminum foil packets.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies and pour on a small amount of extra marinade.
- Seal the foil packet and roast in warm coals until the chicken is done.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top to melt.
- Serve with sourdough bread from the Gettysburg Baking Co. or Hollabaugh Bros., as recommended by Becky.
3. Hot Turkey Sandwich with Mashed Potatoes Mountain Pie
Submitted by Natalie Orcutt from Rockton, PA
- Sliced Turkey
- Turkey Gravy
- Mashed Potatoes
- Butter your bread and place in the mountain pie makers.
- Place two slices of turkey, a spoonful of gravy and a spoonful of mashed potatoes on your bread.
- Toast on an open fire and enjoy!
4. Mountain Man Breakfast
Submitted by Carla Shirey from Homer City, PA
- 1 lb. Pork Sausages
- 1 Bag Shredded Hash Browns, frozen
- 12 Eggs
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 lb. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sauté sausage until done in a deep camp Dutch oven.
- Whisk eggs in mixing bowl.
- Add onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper to sausage mixture and stir.
- Add hash browns to mixture, using enough to mix well but don’t overload the Dutch oven – leave room for eggs!
- Stir mixture slightly and pour beaten eggs over the top allowing them to sink into the hash browns.
- Hang over medium hook and bake until eggs begin to set firm.
- Remove from fire and top with cheddar cheese.
- Cover, add top coals and hang on higher hook to continue baking for approximately 30 minutes. Serves 12-14.
5. Chicken with Salsa and Black Beans
Submitted by Jennifer Arriza from South Riding, VA
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts Seasoned with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder
- 1 Can of Black Beans, drained
- 1 Large jar of Salsa, mild or spicy
- Make an aluminum foil packet for the chicken.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Pour drained black beans over the salsa.
- Take foil and wrap up loosely. Cook chicken until done.
- Serve over rice.
About the Author
Growing up in nearby Wellsville, Pa., Paige made frequent trips to Gettysburg with her family. Today, she enjoys rediscovering Gettysburg as an adult. As a nature enthusiast, she is especially amazed by the landscape of Adams County, Pa. She likes spending her time outdoors amidst the orchards and hillsides of Adams County. Paige enjoys traveling and experiencing new things with her friends and family.